I received my Masters degree in health sciences and my PhD degree in experimental psychology. My research is best situated in the field of applied social psychology and basically studies psychological and behavioural reactions to health education messages. More recently my research interest has shifted from predicting attitude and behavior change to processes of attention allocation and comprehension, two basic prerequisites for effective persuasion. In my research I use self-report measures as well as methods from the cognitive neurosciences including EEG/ERP and fMRI. Other projects I am involved in include experimental studies on the role of basic cognitive functions (work memory, response inhibition, attention) in the explanation and changing of health and safety behavior, and developing and testing behavior change programmes in the areas of blood donation, cancer prevention, safe sex, and traffic safety.
Besides my experimental research work at Maastricht University, I have a strong interest in research capacity building in sub-Saharan Africa. I am continuously involved in PhD projects in Southern and Eastern Africa, mostly related to the prevention of infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS and malaria. These projects have the goal to develop theory- and evidence-based health education materials while training young students to become fully qualified public health researchers.
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Onoya, D., Reddy, P., Sifunda, S., Lang, D., Wingood, G.M., Borne, B van den, Ruiter, R.A.C. Transactional sexual relationships, sexually transmitted infection risk, and condom use among young black women in peri-urban areas of the Western Cape Province of South Africa. Women’s Health Issues, 22-3, e277–e282. doi:10.1016/j.whi.2011.11.006
- Nyembezi, A., Funani, I., Sifunda, S., Ruiter, R. A.C., Van den Borne, B, & Reddy, S. P. (in press). The psychosocial determinants of the intention to reduce the number of sexual partners among recent traditionally initiated and circumcised men in the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. Journal of Health Psychology, 17, 665-677. doi: 10.1177/1359105311424469
- Mevissen, F.E.F., Meertens, R.M., Ruiter, R.A.C., & Schaalma, H.P. (2012). Bedtime stories: The Effects of Self-Constructed Risk Scenarios on Imaginability and Perceived Susceptibility to Sexually Transmitted Infections. Psychology and Health, 27, 1036-1047 (IF:1.59). doi:10.1080/08870446.2011.648935
- Crutzen, R., Cyr, D., Larios, H., Ruiter, R.A.C., & de Vries, N.(2013). Social presence and use of Internet-delivered interventions: A multi-method approach. PlOS ONE 8(2): e57067. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0057067
- Riet, J. van ‘t, Werrij, M.Q., Nieuwkamp, R., Vries, H. de, & Ruiter, R.A.C. (2013). Message frame and self-efficacy influence the persuasiveness of nutrition information in a fast-food restaurant. Food Quality and Preference, 29, 1-5. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodqual.2013.01.007
- van Keulen, H. M., Otten, W., Ruiter, R.A.C., Fekkes, M., van Steenbergen, J., Dusseldorp, E., & Paulussen, T. (2013). Determinants of HPV vaccination intentions among Dutch girls and their mothers: A cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health,13, 111. doi: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/13/111
- Shilubane, H.N., Ruiter, R.A.C., Bos, A.E.R Borne, B. van den, James, S., & Reddy, P.S. (2012): Psychosocial determinants of suicide attempts among black South African adolescents: A qualitative analysis, Journal of Youth Studies, 15, 177-189. doi: h10.1080/13676261.2011.634400
- Peters, G.J.Y., Ruiter, R.A.C., Kok, G. (2012). Threatening communication: a critical re-analysis and a revised meta-analytic test of fear appeal theory. Health Psychology Review. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17437199.2012.703527
- ten Hoor, G.A., Peters, G.Y., Kalagi, J., de Groot, L., Grootjans, K., Huschens, A., Köhninger, C., Kölgen, L., Pelssers, I., Schütt, T., Thomas, S., Ruiter, R.A.C., & Kok, G. (2012). Reactions to threatening health messages. BMC Public Health, 12:1011. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-12-1011
- Sifunda, S., Reddy, P., Braithwaite, R.L., Stephens, T., Ruiter, R.A.C., & van den Borne, B. (2012). Psychosocial determinants of risky sexual behaviour amongst South African male prison inmates in KwaZulu-Natal and Mpumalanga Provinces. International Journal of Prisoner Health, 8, 151 – 162. doi: 10.1108/17449201211285021
- Harmsen, I.A., Lambooij, M.S., Ruiter, R.A.C., Mollema, L., Veldwijk, J., Van Weert, Y.J.W.M., Kok, G., Paulussen, T.W.G., De Wit, G.A., De Melker, H.E. (2012). Psychosocial determinants of parents’ intention to vaccinate their newborn child against Hepatitis B. Vaccine, 30, 4771-4777. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.05.034
- Riet, J. van ’t, Ruiter, R.A.C., & De Vries, H. (2012). Preaching to the choir? The influence of personal relevance on the effects of gain-and loss-framed health-promoting messages. Journal of Health Psychology 17, 712-723. doi: 10.1177/1359105311421047
- Kok, G., Van Essen, G. A., Wicker, S., Llupià, A., Mena, G., Correia, R., & Ruiter, R. A. C. (2012). Planning for influenza vaccination in health care workers: An Intervention Mapping approach. Vaccine, 29, 8512-8519. doi:10.1016/j.vaccine.2011.09.008
- Kessels, L.T.E., & Ruiter, R.A.C. (2012). Eye movement responses to health messages on cigarette packages. BMC Public Health, 12: 352.doi:10.1186/1471-2458-12-352
- Rijsdijk, L.E., Bos, A.E.R., Lie, R., Ruiter, R.A.C., Leerlooijer, J.N., & Kok, G. (2012). Correlates of delayed sexual intercourse and condom use among adolescents in Uganda: A cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health, 12:817. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-12-817
- Riet, J. van ’t, Ruiter, R.A.C., & De Vries, H. (2012). Avoidance orientation moderates the effect of threatening messages. Journal of Health Psychology, 17, 14-25. doi 10.1177/1359105311403523
- Dongen, van A., Abraham, C., Ruiter, R.A.C., Schaalma, H.P., Kort, de W.A.L.M., Dijkstra, J.A., & Veldhuizen, I.J.T. (2012). Are lapsed donors willing to resume blood donation, and what determines their motivation to do so? Transfusion, 52, 1296-1302. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2011.03447.x
- Leerlooijer, J.N., Ruiter, R.A.C., Reinders, J., Darwisyah, W., Kok, G., & Bartholomew, K. (2011). The World Starts With Me: using intervention mapping for the systematic adaptation and transfer of school-based sexuality education from Uganda to Indonesia. Translational Behavioral Medicine. Published online 21 April 2011. doi: 10.1007/s13142-011-0041-3
- Kok, G., Lo, S. H., Peters, G.J.Y., Ruiter, R.A.C. (2011). Changing energy-related behavior: An Intervention Mapping approach. Energy Policy, 39, 5280-5286. doi: 10.1016/j.enpol.2011.05.036
- Peters, G. J. Y., Ruiter, R., & Kok, G. (2012). Address physical inactivity, but avoid stressing harms. The Lancet, 380 (9853), 1554. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61874-1.
Robert A. C. Ruiter
Department of Work and Social Psychology
Applied Social Psychology Group
Maastricht University, P.O. Box 616
6200 MD Maastricht
- Work: +31 43 3882413 /1908
- Mobile: 31433882413
- Skype Name: rob.ac.ruiter